<> SOME HISTORY OF THE 3rd RECON SQUADRON <>
During the Cold War the 14th and 11th Armored Cavalry has a number of important missions to carry out. The first of these, surveillance of the East ‑ West German Border which the 14th has maintained since 1952. It has been said that our Cavalry Regiment occupied the most strategic sector of the Western Front as it sits in the Fulda gap astride the age‑old traditional route of invasion of central Germany, the Hessian corridor.
Our 3rd Squadron 14th ACR was commanded by Lt. Colonel James R. Anderson who joined the Squadron July 1966. The 3/14th ACR was composed of three reconnaissance troops I, K, L, and one tank troop M, Howitzer Battery, and Headquarters troop. <> Lodger (support) units were; Delta Company 54th Engineers, Det. 3, 172nd Ordnance Platoon, Bad Hersfeld MP Substation, 118 Medical Detachment, and the 86 Dental Detachment.
During the Cold War and the Vietnam War our duty was to protect the border, to kept the East Germans / Russians forces out of Europe, MISSION ACCOMPLISHED.
<< Gaither Deitz February 6, 1998 >>
Per John Hathcock, US Army Special Forces, MSG. Ret. North Carolina
"The mission of the 14th and 11th ACR was to verify an attack of the Warsaw Pact and the Soviets. War Games were played by both sides on the border. We did recon on the border so we could alert the 7th Army of an advance across the border. That's why we were a Recon Sqdn. Our second mission was to delay the aggressors as long as possible. Life expectancy was 20 minutes. All larger units were located farther into Germany; this would give them time to mobilize and to get NATO units on the move. They also had to relocate dependants. Why would we have had a NA 14 (Nuclear Warheads) if not to slow down the progress of the aggressor. To the men who served here in the 14th ACR Regiment during the Cold War. Part of them will always remain in this place. Their dedication to duty served as a testament to the world that freedom is precious. ....... A unified Germany has resulted from the efforts and personal sacrifices made by the soldiers stationed here in Bad Hersfeld. May history never forget all those who served here with the 3rd SQDN 14th Armored Calvary Recon Regiment, US 7th ARMY."
<-> In 1972 The 14th Was Reflagged The 11th <->
You can help keep the memory alive by making a small donation via the Donate button below. Thanks in advance
The 14th Cav was constituted February 2, 1901 by War Department Order Number 14, and organized at Fort Leavenworth, March 5, 1901.
In the early part of 1945, World War 11, during the Rhine River Campaign, the 14th was awarded the Distinguished Unit Citation for participation in the timely seizure of the Ludendorf Bridge across the Rhine River at Remagen. The Regiment moved on across Germany and halted on the banks of the Inn River at the Austrian border just prior to VE Day.
The Cold War on The East German Border aka The Fulda Gap
McPheeters Kaserne aka Barracks, Active from 1948 to 1990